The Silitch Family

Adventures in the Alps and Beyond

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dry land training and First on snow sessions





When a Christmas Cactus blooms lots of blooms it usually means a good snow year...and love is alive. This Christmas catus is 7 years old. We moved to Chamonix 7 years ago and I put on my first pair of rando skis 7 years ago. Little did I know back then, that I would be rando racing 7 years later with 2 young children and loving the sport! 7 Years ago, Michael gave me my first rando skis and this Christmas Cactus for my birthday and 7 years later...it is still going strong.
Dryland training has been spent in the gym developing core strength and balance, in the pool for some cross training, rollar skiing and ski hiking to simulate the sport of rando skiing.
The first session on snow was a distance workout in Cervinia climbing up to 3400 meters -followed by a welcoming smile of our friends at the Guides Hut and a great plate of pasta-al dente! The ski down was even better. The conditions were mid winter and excellent.
Nordic tracks have been set in Arpi, Italy. Michael, Birken and I decided to join the French and Italian national ski teams and do a bit of track skiing and find some good snow. Arpi is an amazing old mining village set at the top of multiple switch backs. A hidden gem for early snow.